Friday, May 13, 2016

Local Designer Series: Local Designer Turns Her Dream Into a Reality

Local Designer Gabriella Gonzales finally was able to turn her dream of owning a designer business after she graduated college. Now, a designer-in-residence with the DGG Fashion Incubator, she has been able to grow her business more and more. Learn more about Gabriella and how starting a fashion business has been challenging but rewarding at the same time.



DGG: Tell us about yourself, Gabriella.
Gabriella Gonzalez: I have been designing for most of my life. I had the dream of being a designer business owner while in high school. At the tail end of college I started working on my business. Shortly after graduation I officially began my operation. Since then I have been learning the ropes of owning a fashion business. I take great pride in creating this company from the ground up.

DGG: Tell us about the Gabriella Gonzales line.
GG: When someone takes home a product of mine I want the customer to feel confident, and that the designs are an extension of their personality and themselves.

DGG: What is the Gabriella Gonzales design aesthetic?
GG: My designs have a classic and nostalgic feel, but also have a current look to it.

DGG: What has been the best and worst advice you have received since starting your company?
GG: When I think about the worst advice, I think about business articles that said don’t follow your passion. I don’t understand that reasoning. If we are to devote so much of our time and lives into something, we should be passionate about it. If there is no passion, what is the point of doing it at all? I have received a lot of good advice. One thing that sticks with me is that everyone we meet is for a reason. Business is more than an exchange of money. It is about the getting to know people.

DGG: What has been one hardship you have overcome since starting your line?
GG: When I first started my line I was still figuring out what kind of brand I wanted to portray. At the time, I liked many fashion themes and to narrow it down to one was a journey. Seeing how an outsider viewed my designs helped me realize what I was drawn to and what was true to me.




DGG: What are your goals for Gabriella Gonzales over the next year working at DGG's Fashion Incubator?
GG: My goal is that my company will grow with the help from the Incubator. When I started I wanted to have a more polished meeting place, and central location for my business, I wanted to be able to grow my team. I wanted to be mentored by professionals in my industry to help me move along the projects I wanted to do. With saying all this, I know my business has grown because all of these things have happened. I was able to see where I was on the right track and where I needed assistance. It is a great feeling to see my company’s need and being able to fulfill it in real ways. There are times as a startup owner that you may feel stuck and getting unstuck and moving forward is wonderful.

DGG: If you could dress anyone in your collection, who would it be and why?
GG: There are quite a few people I would like to dress in my collection. If I had to pick just two people, I would pick Gina Rodriguez and David Beckham. They encompass the look of the brand I am creating.

DGG: What is your favorite local boutique?
GG: My favorite local boutique is Gentlemen’s Consignment. They have a lot of neat resell finds for men and my very own bow tie designs! Gentlemen’s Consignment is in Royal Oak on Washington Street.

DGG: Describe your style.
GG: My style is similar to my brand. I tend to mix vintage tastes with current trends.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
GG: I take my coffee with two creams and two sugars.

DGG: Tory Burch or Michael Kors?
GG: Tory Burch. I like both styles but I enjoyed learning about Tory Burch’s entrepreneurial journey and the blossoming of her brand.

DGG: Pants or skirts?
GG: It depends on the day and my mood. I am not biased to either. When I wear pants I am on the go and more business oriented. Days when I wear skirts I feel more laid-back, playful, and fancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment