Monday, June 26, 2017

Industry Spotlight: College Graduate Opens Online Thrift Store

21-year-old Tori Ewald turned her life-long love of fashion into an online vintage shop, Restore Thrift. She makes the daunting task of shopping in a thrift store easy with her curated finds. Read more about Tori and Restore Thrift in our interview with her below!

Photo c/o Tori Ewald
DGG: Tell us about yourself, Tori.
Tori Ewald: I am 21 years old and just graduated from Hope College. My home is in Metro-Detroit, but I am currently living over on the west side of the state (Lake Michigan has stolen my heart). All my life I have always loved clothing as a form of personal expression and creativity. As a child I was more obsessed with dressing dolls than actually playing with them. This love for style has stuck with me, and I am now seeking career paths that marry my passion for clothing with my heart for people. I desire to see radical change and transparency in the fashion industry through the slow fashion movement. I truly believe that the creators of our clothes should be recognized for their craft not exploited as a result of our overconsumption. When I am not sourcing and photographing clothes for Restore I am either throwing bowls in the ceramics studio, indulging in salted caramel ice cream, planning adventures with my best friends, studying all things social media, eating tacos, catching a sunset on the lake, or cooking up the world’s best omelet (well, at least in my opinion).

DGG: Tell us about Restore.
TE: Restore Thrift is an online shop that sells curated thrifted clothing. Resale is a great alternative to purchasing brand new clothing, but often the task of sifting through a sea of color-coded racks is overwhelming. Luckily, finding hidden gems in crowded second-hand stores is one of my favorite things to do. Each piece that is sold on Restore Thrift is hand-picked with a specific vibe in mind.

DGG: What inspired you to start your store?
TE: Throughout my life I was constantly purchasing trendy clothing from big brands to add to an already packed closet, but recently I discovered the many horrible realities and injustices resulting from the fast fashion industry today. How could this seemingly glamorous industry have such disregard for human lives and the environment? We already have plenty of sweet clothes on this earth so why not recycle what has already been created! As I searched for alternatives to purchasing cheaply made clothing, I realized that I really could not find any brick-and-mortar resale stores that were doing it right-- most were either over-priced or just plain out of style. Buying second-hand can be just as cool as buying brand new, but jam-packed racks of t-shirts and grandma sweaters at a thrift store can be daunting to some people. I have always had a knack for searching for great finds in second-hand stores for myself, so I figured I would open my own online version of a resale shop!

DGG: Where do you see your store in the next 5 years?
TE: I am really excited because this summer I will be participating in a few vintage markets around Michigan. I hope to have more opportunities to do local pop-up shops. Other than that I hope that I can continue to grow my shop and expand my customer reach beyond my local area.

Photo c/o Tori Ewald
DGG: What's your favorite vintage piece you've found?
TE: My personal favorite find would have to be a pair of super vintage knee high Dr. Marten leather boots (practically a steal at $10!). As for an item for Restore, recently I found a vintage Dior cashmere sweater that has such elegant beaded details. It is absolutely beautiful.

DGG: Describe your style.
TE: I always find it hard to pinpoint my style specifically because it is always evolving. Recently though my wardrobe has slowly become more refined as I seek to purchase quality pieces that are timeless and will last a long time instead of overly trendy pieces. I am obsessed with Alexa Chung and find myself trying to emulate her effortlessly cool looks. My current uniform would be vintage cropped high rise Levi’s, a stone-washed black cropped t-shirt, old-school high top vans, and big silver hoop earrings. My closet is mostly filled with solid black, denim, or stripes and I absolutely love a good worn in jean jacket.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
TE: Just a dash of cream, but I recently tried a lavender latte and let me tell you I’m obsessed!

DGG: Dior or Chanel? 
TE: Dior

DGG: The Real Real or What Goes Around Comes Around?
TE: The Real Real is so cool but ThredUp is more in my price range. As for a brick-and-mortar resale shop I am obsessed with Buffalo Exchange.

Photo c/o Tori Ewald
By Alex Donlin

No comments:

Post a Comment