Friday, January 16, 2015

On The Town: An Avant-Garde Boutique Opens in Detroit

Using the cross roads at the store's inception as the name for Orleans + Winder is the only simple thing about this newly opened boutique. Unique and avant-garde merchandise litters the space, and the shop holds shows that intersect fashion and art. Based on what we can see via social media, it’s an intriguingly mysterious place so, naturally, we had to find out more.

Erin, one of the partners of Orleans + Winder, was born and raised in Michigan, traveled Europe after high school and while she was there, developed a deep respect for Paris, theatre, and fashion and objects that are made with thought and care. When she came back to the states, she received a degree in theatre performance and married her love of theatre with her first love of fashion to start Orleans + Winder.

DG3: Tell us about Orleans + Winder.
Orleans + Winder: My partner and I have wanted to open a concept store for a while now that serves as a platform for fashion, art and objects. We did our research, met with a wonderful boutique owner in Chicago who gave us some great advice, and began contacting designers whose work we have admired for years. We also liked the idea of creating a showroom similar to the ones you find in Europe, that allows the customer a personalized and immersive shopping experience. I am not someone who enjoys shopping at malls and I knew there were other like-minded people out there. Our goal is to redefine what it means to shop for and buy clothing. I am much more likely to purchase a timeless, well made and interesting piece of clothing from someone who has a relationship with the designers they are selling.



DG3: Do you sell any local designers?
O+W: We are in collaboration with several Detroit designers who will be coming on board for SS15. I travel to Paris to meet with most of our designers who specialize in avant-garde fashion, but I also have designers such as Amy Glenn and Shaina Mote who are LA based and are creating beautiful, timeless pieces. I would love to meet more Michigan-based designers! We look for an aesthetic that works well with our concept and are always on the lookout for not only fashion, but obscure publications, accessories and art.

DG3: What is your favorite local boutique?
O+W: I have to say Linda Dresner. She carries designers who initially inspired my love of artistic fashion such as Yamamoto and Comme des Garcons. 



DG3: Describe your style.
O+W: My friends laugh about my love of black clothing, but that is the majority of what I wear. My main rule is there has to be an interesting element about it, whether it’s a raw edge or overlong sleeves. I suppose I’m sort of Jane Birkin meets Rick Owens, if that makes any sense!

DG3: If you could have any TV or movie character’s wardrobe, whose would it be and why?
O+W: If I could have any movie character’s wardrobe it would be Winona Ryder’s in the movie Heathers. The high waist skirts, black mixed with blue, the off the shoulder sweater, even the blazers! Although my newer movie choice would be Scarlett Johansson in the movie Lucy because I long to wear Iris van Herpen!

DG3: How do you take your coffee?
O+W: Iced Americano with soymilk.

DG3: Club Monaco or Aritzia?
O+W: I had to look up Aritzia- shows how behind I am on bigger stores.

DG3: Alexander Wang or Olivier Rousteing?
O+W: I love what Alexander Wang is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment