Monday, November 10, 2014

Dancing with the Survivors: Bridget Sullivan

It's been such a wonderful experience designing a dance costume for breast cancer survivor, Cheryl Perkins. My challenge was to create a dress that adequately reflected her resilience, strength and exuberance for her swing dance routine!

My dress for Cheryl is inspired by impressionist ballerina paintings by Edgar Degas.

I love using recycled materials for my designs. I started with a light blue dress I bought at a thrift store in New York City, and dyed it. Then, I painted the skirt. Next step, hemming and gem-ing! Because it's not a dance dress until it's covered in rhinestones, of course!

I'm so excited to finish this dress, and see Cheryl perform in it at the Dancing with the Survivors event on October 2nd. It's going to be a fantastic event for an important cause. It's an honor to be a part of it!





No comments:

Post a Comment