Friday, October 2, 2015

Local Designer Series: Local Designer Relocates to Detroit to Work on Sustainable Business Full Time

Meghan Navoy is a graduate from the Fashion Institute of Technology, and is very passionate about bringing the lack of environmental sustainability in fashion to light. After studying textile development, Meghan dove into the world of fashion and found inspiration in an unlikely form - used sweaters. This inspiration lead to her brand A Wool Story that prides itself on being environmentally friendly and having complete transparency. We were lucky enough to have a conversation with her about the process of creating A Wool Story, and why it’s so important to her.

Image from A Wool Story


DGG: Tell us about yourself, Meghan.
Meghan Navoy: I recently moved to Detroit from Brooklyn, NY where I lived for the last five years. In New York, I attended the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) majoring in Textile Development. At FIT, I started a rooftop natural dye garden with two friends in order to bring attention to the issue of sustainability in the fashion industry. I spent the last year and a half working in children's wear doing textile development for denim and active wear. In July, I made the leap to quit my day job and start A Wool Story full time.

DGG: Tell us about A Wool Story.
MN: A Wool Story is a unisex, sustainable knitwear label that uses only recycled natural fibers. The yarn used is reclaimed from sweaters and re-knit into hats, mittens, and scarves. Environmental sustainability, ethical business practices, and transparency are essential to A Wool Story. Sustainability is considered in every aspect from the raw materials to the organic cotton sew in labels, the hand stamped recycled kraft paper hang tags, and the recycled paper mailing envelopes. The fashion industry is notorious for horrible violations of human rights and environmental pollution, and my goal with A Wool Story is to be an ethical and sustainable alternative.

Image from A Wool Story
DGG: You were living in Brooklyn, but moved to Detroit. What brought you to Michigan? 
MN: I am originally from Illinois and both of my parents are from Michigan. Much of my family still lives in Dearborn Heights and Grand Rapids, so it's nice to be close to them. I have been following the story of Detroit's changing atmosphere from New York and my boyfriend and I were really intrigued by the idea of being a part of the city's renewal. New York is becoming a place that is less and less attainable for artists, but Detroit is the perfect place to be able to have the space and resources to create.

DGG: Why is it important for you to use recycled wool, rather than using new wool?
MN: I use reclaimed sweaters because zero waste is an important design aspect to A Wool Story. By not consuming any new materials, I am able to create knitwear that is using what we already have. Wool is such an amazing fiber that not only provides warmth and is flame retardant, but it also lasts a long time. Synthetic fibers, such as acrylic, are petroleum based that are not as durable as wool and their production is bad for the environment. When a customer purchases an item from A Wool Story, they know exactly where it came from, how it was made, and that it will last a long time.

Image from A Wool Story

DGG: From where do you get the sweaters to unravel and use?
MN: I typically buy sweaters from thrift stores, but friends and family also donate unwanted wool sweaters to me as well.

DGG: Where do you sell your products?
AWS: I sell my products on my website at awoolstory.com and intend to wholesale locally in the future.

DGG: What's the best advice you have received since starting your company?
MN: The best advice I have received is to just start. It's so tempting to try to get everything perfect and planned out and spend a lot of time researching (all good things to do), but the best way to learn is by doing.

Image from A Wool Story

DGG: What's are your three most favorite things about Detroit since you have moved here? 
MN:
1. The Dequindre Cut - I am a bicyclist. I love riding down the river front and then down the Dequindre Cut. It is so beautiful and such a peaceful space.
2. Sister Pie - so delicious! I was riding around the city and admiring the West Village neighborhood when I stumbled upon Sister Pie. I had a chocolate coconut pie that was amazing. I can't wait to go back and try another kind of pie.
3. Lost and Found Vintage - technically in Royal Oak. I have been exploring local shops in Detroit and the surrounding area and am so glad I found Lost and Found. It's heaven!! It's beautifully curated with lots of amazing vintage finds.

DGG: If you could dress any celebrity in your products, who would it be and why?
MN: I would love it if Tavi Gevinson wore A Wool Story! She is really stylish and never cease’s to impress with her range of talents and accomplishments!! She's an amazing actor and writer with great taste.

DGG: Describe your style.
MN: I like to wear mostly vintage, for the sustainability aspect and because you can find so many interesting unique pieces. My style could be described as minimalist; I am inspired by Scandinavian and Japanese design.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
MN: Black, with freshly ground beans in my French press.

DGG: Pendleton or London Fog?
MN: Definitely Pendleton.

DGG: A wool hat or wool scarf?

MN: Preferably both - but if I had to pick it would be a hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment