Friday, February 26, 2016

Local Designer Series: Local Designer Wears Many Different Hats on Path to Success

Local designer, Deanna Zapico of Designs by Deanna Zapico has done it all. From styling, to on-set costume design and custom gowns, she's used her creativity and sewing skills to her advantage to make a professionally fulfilling life for herself. If you are a local designer or fashion industry professional feeling down, this inspiring interview will should give you the motivation to keep on keeping' on! 




DGG: Tell us about yourself, Deanna.
Deanna Zapico: I've had a very unconventional and creative childhood with my mother as a commercial artist and my father, a classical musician. This couldn't help but influence me. I graduated from the College for Creative Studies majoring in Advertising Design in Detroit. I've been sewing since age 5 learning from both of my grandmothers and my mother, and I created my first wedding gown for my cousin at the age 20! I am engaged to be married this June to a wonderful man, Frank Arvan. Of course, I’m making my own gown. I also sing in my Father’s Chorale that he’s directed for close to 40 years. (He’s 84)

I was an advertising art director for about 12 years, working an average of 55 hours a week, then left the agency life to spend more time with my 2 sons, Ian and Andre. I have been designing custom gowns since my first gown at age 20, so it was natural for me to continue designing and sewing gowns from my home studio. I divorced in 2008, (a financially difficult year for most) I created a website for my businesswww.customweddinggown.com and continued creating custom gowns and sewing and styling for television commercials from contacts I had made in advertising. Fortunately for me, 2008 the film industry came to MI due to Governor Granholm's tax incentives, and I was picked up almost immediately to sew and creative costumes with some huge talents.




DGG: Tell us about Designs by Deanna Zapico.
DZ: Along with designing and creating custom gowns, sewing and styling for TV commercials, and repairing gowns for a dry cleaner, I’ve also worked on over two-dozen films. I had the pleasure of working with academy award winning costume designers and sewn for many famous actors, from George Clooney, Ben Affleck and Henry Cavil to Rosie O’Donnell, Whitney Houston and Amy Adams, the list goes on. My latest big film was "Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice," which comes out this March. Other bigger movies include "Up In the Air," "Sparkle," "Real Steel" and "Scream 4."
 page1image20136
If all this wasn't enough to keep me busy, in 2014, I was chosen to compete in a Detroit Garment Group/ Detroit Institute of Arts fashion design contest, Beyond the Armor, which was special exhibit at the DIA featuring the lifestyle of the ancient Samurai as inspiration. For this I created an evening gown with a leather armor bustier and a long red silk dupioni skirt on which I designed and hand painted a Japanese dragon that completely wrapped around the flared bottom. I loved creating this one!!

DGG: How do you want to be remembered?
DZ: I would love to be remembered first as a wonderful mom and partner, and then an extremely versatile and talented designer who has been able to persevere through difficult times.




DGG: What was the toughest hurdle you overcame in your career?
DZ: My toughest hurdle so far, and I emphasize so far, had to be making enough money to live on after my divorce and literally continuously balancing 4 part time jobs. Creating custom gowns for private clients, sewing and styling for TV commercials, repairing gowns for Janet Davis Drycleaners and creating and sewing costumes for Hollywood. I don’t regret how hard I’ve worked; only not spending enough time with my younger son, Andre. I’ve learned how to wear many hats and juggle many skills over the last 8 years. I’m sure I will face more tough hurdles as the film industry winds down and I continue to grow and balance my other skills.

DGG: If you could give budding fashion designers three pieces of advice, what would it be?
DZ:
1) Be persistent!! Don’t give up on an idea if life throws you some difficulties.
2) If things don’t turn out the way you’ve planned, ask yourself what can I learn from this diversion? (And that’s all it is, a diversion) Who can I meet that may open new doors to help further my goals?
3) Be prepared to have many different jobs until you can support yourself on designing alone!!




DGG: Where do you see your company in 5 years?
DZ: I would like to expand by designing and manufacturing a vintage inspired collection of simpler wedding gowns that I would make available for purchase on my website.

DGG: If you could dress anyone in the world in your designs, who would it by and why?
DZ: Amal Clooney, both gorgeous and smart. And because the fashion publications can’t wait to see what she has on next. And Sophia Loren or Princess Diana. While they’re no longer with us, I choose Sophia for her gorgeous, sexy full figure and Diana for all of all the attention her wardrobe has received and is still receiving.

DGG: Describe your style. 
DZ: Sensual and refined.




DGG: How do you take your coffee?
DZ: I usually order a skinny, sugar free caramel latte at Starbucks.

DGG: Custom design or stock design 
DZ: I love creating custom gowns! (Realizing, of course, that I have yet to create a line.)

DGG: Gucci or Versace?
DZ: Alexander McQueen - Sensual and refined - but Versace for its flamboyant colors and sexiness, and also because the Versace family is from Calabria, Italy where my mother’s family comes from. Gucci for its classic designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment