Friday, March 11, 2016

Industry Spotlight: Industrial Sewing

We've talked to so much about the Industrial Program, we thought it would be great to interview some one who has been through it and gotten a job in production sewing. Jaclyn, who was one of the program's first students, took the time to answer a few questions about what it's like to be an industrial sewer, and tips for anyone looking to learn this skilled trade.



DGG: Tell us about your job as an industrial sewer.
Jaclyn: I was previously responsible for the stitching on Shinola's leather watch bands at the factory in Detroit. Besides producing enough straps to fulfill the daily quota, I spent a lot of time reworking/resewing/saving otherwise rejected pieces. Part of my creative responsibility was figuring out ways to be more efficient while maintaining a high quality standard, including working with 1-2mm tolerances, needle and thread limitations, and varieties of leather. I also operated up to 2 automatic sewing machines at a time.


DGG: What made you want to learn how to sew?
J: I taught myself how to mend my own clothes by hand, so machine sewing was a natural and desired progression. When I found out about Henry Ford M-TEC’s industrial sewing program, I had the reaction to enroll right away. I also always admired the skilled ladies who participated in/made/wore their own clothes for art and charity; The Uniform Project (2009) [http://www.theuniformproject.com/] and Project Makeshift (2009) [http://makeshiftproject.blogspot.com/]


DGG: What has been your favorite thing to sew?
J: So far, I enjoy working with heavy duty materials.


DGG: For people interested in a career as a production sewer, what would be the three most important things you would tell them?
J: 
1) Master top and bottom thread tension.
2) Experiment with different materials, thread weights, and needle sizes; this helped inform my problem solving process.
3) Use the metric system for measurements, it's easier and more precise.


DGG: Do you do any at-home sewing now that you are a trained sewer?
J: Mostly clothing repair.


DGG: What does your sewing space look like at work? 
J: I try to keep my space as organized as possible so I can find my tools right when I need them. Most sewing machines have their own storage compartment under the table. Regarding mobility at my previous employer, there was a lot of back and forth between quality control at the end of the line and the stations before and after my sewing area. We collaborated on issues we were having with different straps and shared a lot of tips, tricks, and techniques with each other.


DGG: Describe your style.
J: I maintain a minimal wardrobe. A goal of mine is to be able to make my own clothes so I can eventually teach others how to do it themselves, too.


DGG: Vinyl or leather?
J: Both!


DGG: Straight stitch or Zigzag stitch?
J: I work primarily with a straight stitch, but I totally dig the variables of a zigzag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment