Friday, August 19, 2016

Local Designer Series: A Versatile Designer Creates an Even More Versatile Product

Emma Dawda went from working in the automotive industry in Detroit to making her dream of designing into reality. Her brand, emma.do, creates versatile sweaters for any and every occasion. They're perfect for everything from chilly offices to spending the day at a Tigers game to brunching with your friends. Learn more about Emma and how she got her start.



DGG: Tell us about yourself, Emma.
Emma Dawda: I have been in a dedicated relationship with fashion and design since I was about three years old. My entire childhood was spent making outfits for my Barbies out of old scraps of fabric and setting new trends in the 2nd grade by wearing mismatched socks. I got a sewing machine for my 10th birthday and I never turned back. I am a true hands-on creative. The minute an idea pops in my head I have to rush and sketch it out and by then I'm already picking out fabrics and figuring out the process for sewing.  Starting my own creative business just felt natural to me. I love my home state of Michigan, and I feel so lucky that Detroit is finally getting the attention it deserves when it comes to the art and design scene here. I look forward to the days of people moving here for internships and careers in design!

DGG: Tell us about emma.do.
ED: emma.do is an effortless apparel brand offering cozy women's sweaters that can be easily layered and transformed.  With one quick twist you can turn a warm, oversized sweater into a chic and stylish scarf. Creating a versatile, yet fashionable piece was the main focus behind starting my own brand. I wanted something that was flattering, comfortable, and most of all, beautiful. emma.do has been around for less a year, but it has already grown from selling sweaters out of my trunk (yes, literally) to setting up shop in the beautiful Eastern Market on the weekends. I'm excited to see where it will be in another year.

DGG: What made you want to start this collection? Do you plan on expanding?
ED: emma.do was born out of pure frustration and the desire to have an outlet for creative expression. I was working in the automotive industry and feeling squashed of all of my creative abilities. I had always had an idea in the back of my mind for starting my own business, but it came to fruition one day when I was freezing at my desk under the A/C in the dead of summer. I was huddled under a gigantic blanket scarf trying to stay warm when I thought "Here's the problem that I need to solve!" I was fed up with keeping a ratty old cardigan at my desk to stay warm so when I got home that night I sewed my very first "emma.do". I wanted a simple design that could fit over any outfit without having to worry about how it would look. I mixed the look of a scarf with a shrug and came up with an oversized sweater that can be easily twisted into a scarf if you are throwing on a jacket or just want something cozy around your neck. This simple design can look professional and classic when worn at work, but can also look very laid-back and chic when layered with a white tee and distressed denim. One day I do hope to expand into more knitwear and apparel, but for now I'm happy focusing on growing my business as it is. Stay tuned though because you never know what I have up my sleeve!



DGG: What types of fabrics are emma.do's made out of? Can one purchase a few emma.do's for every season?
ED: The emma.do's are made out of multiple fabrics so that people can either choose one for every season, or pick a mid-weight knit to wear all year-round. I started with a lightweight cotton French terry and classic ponte knit and added boiled wool and fleece for the winter. I've tried to find fabrics that can be easily folded up so that you can keep one in your purse for times when the A/C kicks on unexpectedly. It's like a stylish safety blanket to keep with you at all times!

DGG: What's been the hardest part about starting a fashion business?
ED: The hardest part has definitely been finding good quality fabrics at a decent price. I am the type of shopper that always picks out the most expensive thing in the store, so I constantly have to reel myself in because I don't want to charge an absurd amount for one of my sweaters. Pricing items in the handmade industry is very tricky. You have to show your customers why it is worth spending a certain amount on your product when they might be able to go to Target and buy something similar for a quarter of the price. It takes a bit of handiwork and it's been a struggle, but I think there are more and more people out there who are excited to see what local crafters and artists are capable of doing and I think they are more willing to support them.



DGG: If some one came to you and told you they wanted to start their own fashion company, what advice (or warning) would you give to them?
ED: I would definitely tell someone who wanted to start their own fashion company to research everything as much as possible. Look into every resource you can find and read book after book on owning a business and being your own boss. I am still very new to all of this, and I'm learning new things everyday, but educating yourself on even the smallest things will help when issues arise. I would also tell them to get out there and talk with other small business owners. Visit Eastern Market on the weekends and find out what others have done to get to where they are. It's nice to see successful businesses doing what they love, but it is also important to notice the weak spots so you can make note of them when it's your turn to be in charge.

DGG: If you could dress anyone in your emma.do's, who would it be and why?
ED: The thing that I love about my emma.do's is that I would love to dress Meryl, Streep but also Gigi Hadid. I think Meryl would look gorgeous in a black boiled wool emma.do over a crisp white button down and tailored denim. With Gigi, she could throw on a casual grey knit emma.do over her Calvin Klein sports bra and high-waisted leggings for the gym and still look just as pulled together as Meryl. The design works for all ages, all styles, and all body types and that was exactly my goal when designing my emma.do's.

DGG: How do you keep your workspace?
ED: My workspace is partly clean and tidy and partly organized chaos. It is a little difficult to sew without ending up covered in bits of thread, but I try my best to keep my sewing space clean and pulled together because I work better when things are organized.  However, my fabric cutting space is definitely more chaotic but organized. Anyone who sews will agree with me when I say that sewing turns you into a fabric hoarder. There just isn't a way around it. I hate to throw out any leftover fabric even if it is just a little square of something because I might be able to do something with it! I try to keep all of that as organized as I can in boxes and clear bins, but after a while it just piles up and looks kind of messy.



DGG: How do you take your coffee?
ED: Just a bit of half and half preferably in hazelnut coffee, but if I'm treating myself at Starbucks or something, I get a skinny vanilla latte or a caramel macchiato.

DGG: Crew neck or V neck sweaters?
ED: Crewneck all day everyday. My go-to outfit has always been a crewneck sweater with a statement necklace, tailored ankle pants and a kitten-heel pump. Can't go wrong in my book!

DGG: Jenna Lyons or Sophia Amoruso?
ED: That's a tough one! I love them both so much. My two favorite #Girlbosses for sure. I'm going to cheat and say both because Sophia's drive and ambition cannot be ignored while Jenna's style and ability to revamp a brand entirely has made her a very inspirational corporate leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment