Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Local Designer Series: Designer Merges Architecture and Accessories for a Cool Jewelry Line

Starting as a way to support herself during grad school, Beau Sinchai took her architecture background and created Koonyai Studio. Specializing in jewelry and sustainability, Beau is inspired by building materials including  metals and concrete. Her geometric, simplistic designs are the perfect addition to any outfit.


Photo Credit: Koonyai Studio




DGG: Tell me about yourself, Beau.
Beau: I was born in Thailand and grew up in Minneapolis, MN. I love food more than diamonds and I am super thankful for Detroit’s amazing food scene. 



DGG: Tell me about Koonyai Studio.
Beau: Koonyai means beloved grandmother in Thai. I grew up under the care of my grandmother and it is where I got my entrepreneurial spirit. Koonyai Studio started while I was studying at Cranbrook Academy of Art as a means for myself to turn my wild ideas into a career.



DGG: What lead you to beginning to work with jewelry?
Beau: It is actually accidental. During my years at Cranbrook, I had been exploring the idea of body architecture quite a bit. The topics of what it meant to be architectural, materials, and it’s social and cultural association came up a lot. Then, I started to merge architecture with body adornment and starting to make jewelry. 

Photo Credit: Koonyai Studio



DGG: What is your vision for the brand?
Beau: I hope that the brand will become a design house and do more design work under all the scopes from jewelry to buildings while making impact to the world, environmentally and socially. 



DGG: Where do you see your brand in 5 years?
Beau: This is what I have been super excited to talk about. I am working toward becoming a zero-waste business. Sustainability, social and environmental aspects have always been the top priority when I started Koonyai studio and I hope to be able to make positive impact to our community through design work and jewelry.



DGG: If you could have anyone in the world wear your jewelry, who would it be and why?
Beau: Michelle and Barack Obama. Michelle wearing my work would make me die happy. I would love to have POTUS wear my jewelry to shatter some stereotypes surrounding gender and jewelry.


DGG: Describe your style.
Beau: Minimalist and comfort, but my friends are calling it “art-mom” style.

Photo Credit: Koonyai Studio


DGG: What's the most meaningful piece of jewelry you own?
Beau: A battery-less watch that uses solar power. I purchased it with my first paycheck in high school. It was the first “big” purchase I ever made in life.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
Beau: With a lot of sugar and cream. I mean I take a lot of sugar and cream with a drop of coffee. I love tea though!


DGG: Etsy or Bluefly?
Beau: Etsy

DGG: Cartier or Tiffany?
Beau: Neither. I love independent makers and imperfections from being handmade.


Photo Credit: Koonyai Studio



SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment