Monday, December 22, 2014

Local Designer Series: Project Runway Alum Char Glover Talks TV and New Collection

Charketa “Char” Glover has always had a keen eye for thinking outside of the box – she was even voted weirdest dresser in high school. She went to school for cosmetology, but traded in her makeup brushes for sewing needles and has been at it ever since. She’s made custom pieces for women all over the world, along with celebrities such as Michelle Williams, Keyshia Cole and Angela Simmons – just to name a few. She’s a Detroit-native but she’s known globally as one of the top four finalists on Project Runway Season 13, showing her spring/summer collection at New York Fashion Week. Read more about Char, her line Chargrels Couture and her time on the show in our interview below.


DG3: Tell us a little about yourself and how you got into the fashion world?
Char Glover: I was born and raised in Detroit, Started out as a cosmetologist, then became a fashion designer. My grandmother was a fashion designer, so I guess it’s just in my blood.

DG3: Congratulations on Project Runway! What was the experience like?
CG: Thank you! It was a great experience; it was more than I could have hoped for, and a little bumpy at times, but overall super cool. It was challenging yet rewarding, and I learned a lot about myself as a person as well as a designer. It was one of the best experiences in my life so far.

DG3: How long had you been designing before the show?
CG: I would say a little over 10 years.

DG3: Why did you want to be on Project Runway?
CG: As a viewer of the show I was excited! I thought it would be a chance for me to be challenged, as well as experience something new, and also it would be a good opportunity to expand my brand.

DG3: Can you think of any funny stories that didn't happen on camera that you can share?
CG: I had on a skirt that needed to be taken in at the waist a little bit, so I asked Kini to alter it for me, but it was during filming so we tried to hide from the cameras, and I covered myself up with fabric. It was so funny – we were trying to rush and hide from the cameras. They eventually caught us. Thank God they didn't air it!

DG3: You showed your collection at Walk Fashion Show recently and it was great! What was the inspiration behind the collection? 
CG: Thank you! I'm known for my bold patterns and prints so for this collection I wanted to go with solid colors, and decided to make it cohesive with monochromatic looks from head to toe. I used oversize hoods to tie the looks together.

DG3: If you could be lead designer for any of the well-known fashion houses, which would it be and what direction would you take with the collection?
CG: Maybe Chanel. I would like to put a NEW spin on their classic jacket... Mix it up a little.

DG3: What does your workspace look like?
CG: It’s small and quaint; I try and keep it neat and free from clutter. I have a vision board I keep over my desk and it’s one of my favorite things in my studio.

DG3: How do you take your coffee?
CG: With cream and loads of sugarrrrrrrr.

DG3: Zac Posen or Michael Kors?
CG: Zac Posen. 


DG3: Christian Sirirano or Rami Kashou?
CG: Christian Siranio; he is my favorite Project Runway alumni.

No comments:

Post a Comment