Friday, February 20, 2015

Oh, Shop It: Independent Textiles Business Comes to the Rescue for Upholstry and Vintage Fashion Fixes


Independent textile company William + Bonnie located is located in Hamtramck and focuses on fixing furniture upholstery and vintage clothing repair. The idea sounds so simple, yet they remain pretty mysterious, so when we found out they are having an event this Wednesday (mark your calendars!), we had to find out more.



DG3: How did you get into textiles?  
Sarah Ayers: I actually studied art history and archaeology so I come from a curatorial background. After working in NYC galleries and museums for years I wanted a change and the jump from the art world to textiles was a logical transition – the emphasis on texture, color and aesthetics along with the construction and lines appealed to my appreciation for art in all of its forms.

DG3: How did William + Bonnie get its start, and where did the name come from?
SA: The name actually comes from my Dad's name William, and my Aunt's name Bonnie. I've always wanted to have my own business and loved the idea of tradition and craftsmanship – what better way to capture a solid foundation and tradition than to pay homage to the ones that helped create mine.



DG3: Is everything a custom order or do you have stock available?
SA: Everything I do is custom. One of the favorite parts of my job is the fact that each piece will have a story for its owner and is completely personalized. There's a real romanticism in the idea that a garment or piece of furniture will become part of their memory's landscape.  

DG3: I see on your website that you are featured out Houzz! Love that site. How did that come about?  
SA: Truth be told, I'm not sure. I just kept updating my portfolio and getting reviews, and the next thing I know...

DG3: What do you want to see for William + Bonnie in the next few years?
SA: This summer I am launching fully custom vintage inspired cycling wear, so I would really like to expand on custom vintage inspired pieces. Since I have an affinity for vintage in general, I find that a lot of women (myself included) love the style, but can't find a vintage garment that fits properly. Drawing on my collection of vintage patterns, I am hoping to offer custom pieces in the fabric selection and measurements of each client. Every woman deserves at least one dress that was made for her. Most vintage pieces were homemade, and there is something to say about the timelessness and craftsmanship of a well-constructed, custom garment.

DG3: How do you take your coffee?
SA: Black.  



DG3: If you could have any celebrity wardrobe, whose would it be and why?  
SA: If I were a man I would say John Waters. His pieces are always well tailored with a dash of individuality. I am a sucker for details and there is always an element of his outfit that is sometimes subtle, but changes the entire look. As it is, I would say Audrey Hepburn – always classy, or Marlene Deitrich – glamorous, feminine and tough wrapped into one.  

DG3: Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn?  
SA: Tough one. Honestly, I don't think I own anything from either of them, but aesthetically I am going with Restoration Hardware.

DG3: Lost and Found Vintage or Chi Chi and the Greek?  

SA: I'm going off the rack with this one and am going to say Tekla in Hamtramck and not just because I do garment work there. Tekla just opened over Labor Day and specializes in men, women and homewares pre-1980's - my weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment