Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Industry Spotlight: A Conversation with FYT Production

You may already be familiar with the name Christian O'Grady, as he was our Industry Spotlight when the blog first started, and he's a fixture in Detroit's fashion community. Since then, he has taken his photography business to the next level and partnered with his partner-in-crime and in life, Victoria Zegler. Read about what they are doing in the photography world, and get a good sense of their personalities and what they might be like to work with in this interview-turned-conversation.



DGG: Tell us about yourselves, Christian & Victoria.
Victoria Zegler: I spent a good chunk of my college career studying photojournalism at Central Michigan University, where I also worked as a staff photographer at Central Michigan Life, the universities independent student-run newspaper. My senior year was spent as photo editor, where I was able to travel to Radio City Music Hall to cover the 2013 NFL Draft, and it was incredible.
Christian O'Grady: College for Creative Studies is where I graduated and during my time in school, I spent a semester in New York City assisting on commercial shoots, in major photography studios, and interning at Details magazine while attending a studio program through Parsons. Traveling to other places is one of the most inspiring things to me. It feeds my creativity.
VZ: I also got to study abroad during my time in college, living in Bangkok and backpacking through Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. I’ll never forget the beautiful beaches, authentic street food and buckets of alcohol. Only in Asia do they serve you alcohol in BUCKETS.  
CO: You have a lot of funny stories from your travels, those are my favorites!
VZ: After I graduated, I started working for the Detroit Pistons for our good friend Dan Lippitt. Working for such a big corporation with such a large following in a fast paced environment was an awesome job to throw myself into after college.
CO: Dan introduced Victoria and I. Dan has been one of my mentors, it was great to get a technical education from CCS but getting on the job experience with Dan was one of the first photography-related jobs I had. We would do shoots several times a week and then retouch side by side and learn from each other. That time working with Dan made me into the multi-faceted photographer I am now. My work from when I was in school was meticulous and very time consuming. Dan showed me ways to shoot extremely fast, and that is an incredible skill to have when you need it. 

University of Michigan Chef Gala, 2014, (Victoria Zegler)

DGG: Tell us about FYT Productions.
VZ: We had been flirting with the idea of working together officially by merging our different photo backgrounds since last year.
CO: FYT officially launched at the start of 2015. Victoria and I, started a blog where we could show potential clients our combined work, which we also post through various social media to gain exposure.  
VZ: We want to show people that we’re offering a service that is deeper than just taking pictures.  With Christian’s background in studio work and mine in visual journalism, we’ve come together to tell stories that are inspiring, cinematic and character-driven.
CO:and with each project we craft them in collaboration with our clients from development throughout post-production.
VZ: It was with that idea of a unique experience that the FYT brand was invented.
CO: Everyone asks ‘What does FYT stand for?’ I like to say, FYT changes dynamically because we change based off of the needs of our clients. My favorites are Future You Is Thankful and Follow Your Truth.
VZ: Mine is Forget Your Troubles, I thought of that one!
CO: Our clients range from designers and artists to small businesses and large corporations.
VZ: All of them are different, but one thing that ties them together is that they each have a story, one we want to share with crafted imagery.
CO: FYT offers continuous brand specific content in the form of compelling photos and videos.
VZ: We are available for hire for events, environmental portraits, public relation interactions, music videos, promotional videos and other photo or video applications where the client is looking for professional quality.

DGG: For designers, photography is an essential part of business, but for other companies who may offer services and not products, hiring a photographer might not be on their radar. Why should a company that provides a service hire, photographers or use photography for its business?
CO: Everybody and every brand in existence has the opportunity to control their online image. 
VZ: We help craft that image and tell the story our client wants to share with their audience.
CO: There are so many social media avenues that need constant updating. When you are trying to represent your brand identity online you want to showcase it in the best light.
VZ: Figuratively and literally in the best light. 
CO: Yes! That’s right Vic. 
VZ: Let’s say for example a PR company wants to improve its image, rebrand. We could start with environmental portraits around the office to show the work atmosphere, as well as show its employees in a more dynamic way than typical headshot.
CO: Then Victoria will come in and use her photojournalism background to capture the story of an event this company is sponsoring. 
VZ: We know how to pay attention to the light, the angle, the lens selection, the background, the signage, to create a specific look.
CO: That’s where we get back to brand identity. If you keep hiring us, it’s consistent brand identity.

Futuristic fashion spread, Styleline Magazine, 2012 (Christian O'Grady)
DGG: What is the importance of quality photography in world full of Instagram amateurs? Why should a company hire a photographer vs. trying to do it themselves?
CO: Everyone has a camera in their pocket in our modern society and everyone knows basically how to take a photo. The difference is we as professional photographers have the opportunity to use advanced equipment to make thousands of photos a week. All of that practice over the fifteen years of combined experience we have lets us focus on every facet of the photograph to create impactful imagery.
VZ: Making images vs. taking photos…
CO: Exactly! When she needs to, Victoria will get like two inches from the ground in some sort of deranged yoga pose to get the angle she wants for a shot. That’s because she wants to control her background to make the photo look as interesting as possible.
VZ: That’s one example of the many different decisions we are constantly making as we photograph.

DGG: Why should a fashion company hire you? What do you bring to the table that other photographers won't?
CO: Working for a fashion magazine, Styleline, for 5 years as the main contributing photographer gave me the amazing opportunity to plan, prep, and photograph over fifty unique fashion spreads. All of that experience gives me the ability to understand the potential problems of shoots, and ways to work around those issues. 

Detroit Pistons, 2014, During the pregame fan hand tunnel following Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. (Victoria Zegler)
DGG: What does your office space look like? 
VZ: Our office space is part office and part photo cage. We have a desk that we sit across from each other each with our own iMac and a clutter of papers, memory cards, and computer hardware. We have a white board with all of the current client projects we have going. The perimeter of the room is filled with lighting equipment, camera gear, a charging station for our multitude of batteries, eleven photos from Christian’s collection of work hang on the walls.
CO: We still want to put up more art - it’s a work in progress.

DGG: Describe your style.
CO: Victoria loves to dress in simple black garments. I try to get her to wear color because her personality is very colorful.
VZ: I wear more than just black. I like things that are comfortable, that have a great flow, and pieces that create shapes.
CO: My style is still taking shape. I’ve been trying to work on a utilitarian futuristic style for the past couple of years. It’s an ongoing project of collecting pieces that I love. To me, it’s important that my clothing is made for function over form.

DGG: What is your most favorite article of clothing you own, and why?
CO: My 1883 Wolverine boots are beloved. They are extremely functional work type boots with a two tone grey on brown outer and a rubber sole with amazing traction. The only problem is they squeak on smooth floors. My Craine&Love black t-shirt is another favorite because it feels amazing and I have to keep up with Vic on wearing black.
VZ: Pshhh. My favorite is a vintage piece my mother handed down to me. It’s a red sleeveless dress that falls just above the knee with white polka dots all over it, and a belt around the waist. I always feel so young and full of life when I’m in it. Not to mention all the twirling I can do when wearing it!

Portrait of a woodworker, Jose Regueiro, 2014
DGG: How do you take your coffee?
VZ: Tea is more my taste preference, and I’m not big on caffeine. Tazo Passion tea is my favorite, especially when it’s on ice!
CO: We are doing drink orders? Okay, I’ll take a Smart Water, the one with the nozzle, and a Rehab Monster Energy drink, Peach or Lemon. Thanks. 

DGG: Annie Leibovitz or Mario Testino?
VZ: Mario Testino! 
CO: Yeah, me too.

DGG: Action photography or product/portrait photography?
CO: Portraits are my favorite, especially environmental portraiture.
VZ: Put me right in the middle of the action!
CO: That separation is what makes us such a strong team. I’m strong where you are weak and vice versa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment