Thursday, June 4, 2015

Local Designer Series: Local Woman Creates Activewear for Women, by Women

Sometimes, a bad situation is an opportunity in disguise and one local woman used her bad situation to start a fashion company while she was still in college. During her senior year, Jacalyn Gross used the women around her to start creating market research for a sportswear line. Pleasantly surprised by all of the feedback, she immediately started creating prototypes for activewear that would fit properly, function correctly and look fantastic. All of that hard work has led to a growing business made for women, by women!

Image Courtesy of UR Sportswear

DGG: Tell us about yourself, Jacalyn.
Jacalyn Gross: To talk about myself, I guess I couldn't do it without talking about running. I love running. It is a lifestyle for me; it is what centers me when everything else gets a little crazy. I started running when I was 12 years old to get fit for soccer, and I have been doing it ever since. I ran in college the 800m for Michigan State University, but these days I just enjoy the distance. I also enjoy climbing, yoga, boxing and hiking, pretty much anything active. I love to meet and talk to new people. I am driven, a hard worker sometimes to a silly degree and I like to do the job before I hire someone to do it for me. Part of that is to save money, but mostly so I know how much it is worth for someone to do that for me. I am devoted to building women up; I think society tells us to compete with one another I like to inspire and empower women in any way that I can. I also love to laugh, and I don't think we do that enough.

DGG: Tell us about UR Sportswear.
JG: During my time as a college athlete, I was issued shorts that were too short, shirts made for football players, and numerous other pieces of ill-fitting attire. As a result, I suffered from a bit of body dysmorphia, as many women have in that situation, and I wanted to stop that from happening to other women. My philosophy is that an athletic garment is a tool to help you achieve your goals. It should be made to fit you, not the other way around. If it doesn't fit, that does not mean there is something wrong with your body, it means that the garment is not designed to suit your needs. As a result of the lack of available choices in women’s sportswear, I decided to create a company that was about real women. In order to find out what those needs were, during my senior year of college, I went to my target audience, active women, to get feedback about what they wanted out of their sportswear.

I was surprised by all of the positive responses I received for my project from the active women I surveyed. What I found was that there were some important sportswear needs that just were not being met. In particular, I found that the “ride up” factor typical of spandex shorts was a major problem. I used this problem as a starting point and set to work constructing a prototype of a better-fitting, more comfortable short that, more importantly, would not ride up. During this process, I tested multiple different styles, fits, and materials and solicited the opinion of other active women. These shorts were truly a “by women, for women” product, from start to finish.

Image Courtesy of UR Sportswear

UR got its name because it is who "You Are." UR was created to help empower women to feel confident in their activewear using the survey method and we continue to do that to this day. Once I had a product, I then opened UR Sportswear for business in 2012 with my very first line of shorts (the epic Just Rock short). We’ve since expanded our product line and hope to continue to meet the needs of active women everywhere. We all deserve to be comfortable in our own skin. Bottom line, at UR, women are heard, respected, and appreciated.

We now have the following products:
   Convertible Short - This convertible short gives you options. Flip between a 7 inch inseam or a 9 inch depending how you feel or how much you’d like to cover up.
   Control Top Capri - This control top capri features a soft wide waist band and a supportive fabric design to help keep your glutes where you want them while you’re working out.
   Extra Long Wicking Tank - This extra long racerback tank is cut to hang low and not ride high. Keeping covered what you want covered.
   Skirted Tank - This racerback tank has a long slimming under-layer with a looser, flattering over-layer to help you feel in control throughout your workout.
   Slimming Tank: This racerback tank is designed to be slimming and is cut longer to keep it from riding up. Add in the tuck-under nutrition pocket and flat seams and this is your ideal UR marathon on up top.
   Empower T-shirts - T-shirts to motivate and inspire

Image Courtesy of UR Sportswear


DGG: You say in the about section on your website that you ask for consumer input on the look, fit and feel of UR apparel. What has been some of the feedback you've gotten that you've incorporated into your brand and how does that feed back come to you?
JG: I do it all. We gather information from Google group chat, expos, emails, calls and online surveys. Basically, I find out what is trending in sportswear and what is inspiring me in the market place that would also help to solve insecurities of women. Then, I come up with several solutions and I post the designs on Instagram, Facebook, Google+ page and on our webpage. People will like, comment, and interact. Once we have finalized on the design, I will work on the details such as colorways, patterns, and other small aspects of the design.

DGG: Tell us about your time in Los Angeles, CA. What were the most important things you learned about starting a company while you were there?
JG: Well, that was when I first toured a large production house, so I got to see the sewing steps I learned about in college in action. The fashion bookstore was very helpful in making contacts, and always to ask as many questions as possible.

DGG: What does your office space look like?  
JG: My office consists of my Mac with organized chaos of paper piles, fabric samples and sketched ideas. I go through phases of being organized, and getting crazy busy and having stacks of paper everywhere.

Image Courtesy of UR Sportswear
DGG: Describe your style.
JG: I would say sporty/casual, but I am all over the map. I think differently in different clothes, so it depends on my inspiration. 

DGG: What is your most favorite article of clothing you own, and why?
JG: UR's Just Rock shorts. I have been running in those (the original pair - these shorts last) for two years, and they don't rub or ride up ever. They will blow your mind.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
JG: 2% milk and three sugars.

DGG: Spandex or loose fitting workout pants?
JG: Spandex.

DGG: Lululemon or Athletica?

JG: UR Sportswear.

No comments:

Post a Comment