Friday, April 22, 2016

Industry Spotlight: How One Couple Has Made a New Venture Their Own

When Pink Pump closed its doors in late 2014, opportunity presented itself for Metro Detroit couple Kelly and Vincent Kirkwood. The couple bought the intellectual property rights to the store and haven't looked back since. To find out more about the revamped store, read our interview to find out why they decided to buy it, what they're doing now, and much more!

Image from pinkpump.com

DGG: Tell us about yourselves, Kelly & Vincent.
Kelly Kirkwood: I am a brilliant, go-getting woman who is creating a legacy with and for my family. I attended Mercy – an all-girls Catholic high school. My high school journey solidified me wanting to be a woman who makes a difference but also makes major strides in empowering women.  I have an educational and service background - from leading Summer Peace Camps at the Capuchin Soup Kitchen to leading an elementary school. My career choices have instilled a since of self-actualization and eagerness to create and control my own career path.

I enjoy dressing up and hitting the town with my girlfriends – sisterhood time is important to me. I have been married for 4 amazing years and enjoy dating my husband. We have a beautiful and joyful 18-month-old little girl.
Vincent Kirkwood: I am a stylish, educated, goal oriented young man that will not accept no for an answer. I attended Berkley High School here in Michigan and continued my education at Wayne State University, ultimately graduating with a Masters in Sports Administration. My background includes a career in sports and marketing. I currently teach Sports Marketing at Wayne State University while also working in marketing, creating memorable marketing campaigns and activations for clients across the country and Canada. To me, there is nothing more important than family. My wife Kelly, and daughter, Harper Rose, are the joys of my life. Aside from that, I enjoy fashion and observing others that enjoy fashion and make it a part of their lifestyle! My life experiences have allowed the opportunity to view fashion and style from all types of perspectives from NY runways to the storefront churches in Detroit’s eastside communities. Both are equally as important as it forces you to understand balance and variances in both fashion and in lifestyle!

DGG: Tell us about Pink Pump. (When, how and why you became the new owners, what inspired you to takeover, how you're going to keep Pink Pump the same or change it up a bit, etc.)
K & V: Vincent and I have always yearned for entrepreneurship and creating an impactful brand. We had countless meetings with each other, family, mentors and close friends about my desires to open our own business. Our thoughts and countless conversations become our reality. The conversations turned into an opportunity to purchase the intellectual property rights for PINK PUMP. Kelly was inspired by the previous owner and her success story and the positive impact she had in the local community. Timing was everything! We believed in the brand and the brand aligned with who we are as people. We knew that I could grow the brand and take the brand to the next level and beyond. I will have many businesses; PINK PUMP is the stepping-stone to many more businesses that will make a difference. We have changed PINK PUMP up a bit. We have more of an emphasis on the shopping dynamic between mother and daughter. We introduced a children’s line of shoes as well.

Image from Pink Pump

DGG: Who is the Pink Pump girl and guy?
K: The right shoes can change a woman’s walk, poise and confidence. PINK PUMP inspires women by making them feel confident and beautiful. We take pride and time in selecting brands, styles and quality pieces that women will be proud, excited and confident to wear. The PINK PUMP girl is the woman who wants to express herself through style. She’s the girl who enters a room and everyone gravitates to and wants to know who she is. PINK PUMP also empowers women by helping them find and explore their individual style. PINK PUMP customers become PINK PUMP family members. The store space was meticulously and thoughtfully designed for women to feel pretty, feminine, bold and edgy. PINK PUMP offers the opportunity for our customers to be able to utilize the space to host women empowerment events and share the space for some of their most personal and special occasions at PINK PUMP (bridal showers, baby showers, girls night out/in and many more). The PINK PUMP girl is all of the above!

V: What Kelly and I have been able to do with Pink Pump is something special. As I continuously work on the marketing and business side of Pink Pump, I take notice of how Kelly’s passion for this particular business venture is driven by inspiring women in fashion, business, and life. As the Pink Pump guy, I continue to support Kelly’s willingness to empower others. In addition, I hope to use Pink Pump as a platform for other fashion and business ventures that explore style specifically here in the Metro Detroit area. My goal is to pull together the styles and culture I have experienced in my travels and continuously bring it right home to Metro Detroit. Is that in the form of a men’s store? Only time will tell…

DGG: What has been the biggest hurdle you have overcome in this Pink Pump venture, and how did you overcome it?
K: A major challenge of start-up businesses is the unknown. Although we conducted extensive market research we still did not know the complete picture until the doors opened, until actual customers were buying our products. Pink Pump is nestled in a quaint neighborhood community. However, with Pink Pump having several locations, we also get many destination shoppers; the differences of these shoppers are diverse. Our buying process is very intentional to appease everyone. 
V: One piece of advice I can offer. Do not go into business with your significant other unless you really, really, really, really, love them! Fortunately enough for me, Kelly and I are madly in love. I come from a career in managing several people at any given time, as well as major events throughout the country. My management style can be one of a micro manager (so I have been told). When working in a joint venture, sometimes I have to pull myself out and learn to trust others, whether it’s Kelly, our staff, our PR team, graphic designer or website guy. I can not do it all, and I don’t have to because the all-star team Kelly and I have been able to build over the last couple months. It’s not perfect, but it’s getting there.

DGG: What are three pieces of advice you would give some one who wants to open a store?
K: It’s time to go for it. Start NOW! Change your thoughts from “I wish”, “I hope”, “one day”, “maybe”, “not right now”, to simply, “I WILL.” Change your habits, wake up earlier, read more often and take steps to develop a plan. Keep a journal – write down all of your ideas and plans. Be reflective on the plans and perfect them. Get a mentor in your desire field and pick their brain and emulate their work habits. Woops, that was more that three…we couldn’t stop!


Image from Pink Pump

DGG: If you could dress anyone in items from Pink Pump, who would it be and why?
K: If I could dress anyone, it would be Beyoncé. She has such a versatile style. I would love to give her some edge.
V: What people don’t know is that Pink Pump has exclusive men’s pieces that I can only show. Those who are styled by me have access. If I could style anyone, it would be Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder. You can see he has style, but he needs me to step in and manage it.

DGG: Describe your style.
K: Sophisticated with flair of glamour. I love simple, well-tailored silhouettes. I enjoyed layering bold rings, faux furs, and daring heels with everything. I try to push myself to expand beyond black. I love black! I feel powerful and confident in black. My style is always evolving. I enjoy changing my look quite frequently.
V: I like Kanye West’s style. It is very daring, non-typical, and comfortable while remaining stylish. Comfortability is important. In the workplace I enjoy tailored fit chinos with an oversize sweater. A friend once told me, “if you stay ready, you won’t ever have to get ready.” I use that in style, especially residing here in Michigan with the seasonal changes makes dressing in layers the way to go. You may catch me in a button down under a sweater, with a denim jacket over that, and then a blazer over that. It sounds like a lot, but I wear it well. I’m having fun and staying ready!

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
K: Dark roast topped with steamed soy. YUM.
V: I like my coffee like I like my wife, dark, hot, with a touch of sweetness.

DGG: Casual shoes or dress shoes?
K: Dress shoes everyday all day, honey.
V: Gym shoes as long as they are Yeezy’s.

DGG: H&M or Zara?
K: ZARA! Anytime I’m in a city that has a Zara – it’s a must to pick up a few funky pieces.
V: In the past it has been Zara but H&M has been stepping their game up lately. It’s a toss up.



No comments:

Post a Comment