Friday, April 1, 2016

Local Designer Series: Knitwear and Jewelry Designer Lets Her Hands Do the Walking

Two Stix 5 Stones is a local knitwear and jewelry line with an bohemian chic style -- I mean, she knits free form, meaning she doesn't have a plan and she just lets her hands do the walking. If that's not bohemian, I don't know what is! Read about this local designer, and see what else she has to offer on her website.



DGG: Tell us about yourself, Beth.
Beth H: I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture several years ago. When I have time, I love to shoot photography and paint abstractly.

DGG: Tell us about Two Stix 5 Stones.
BH: I specialize in knits and accessories (shawls, halter tops, hats, jewelry, etc.) with an artistic flair. The knits are made with high quality exotic yarns including cotton, rayon, silk, linen, wool and other fine yarns. Each knit piece is hand-blend with as many as 16 yarns. I also make jewelry out of fiber, wire, beads & stones (hence the name of my business).



DGG: Why knit? What do you like about knitting versus sewing?
BH: Knitting is more versatile for me. I knit free-form and let the garment evolve. Often times, I do not know what I am making until I finish the piece. I believe “planning” on what I am going to make hampers the design process. I also like that knitting is “travel friendly” and I can take my office to the coffee shop.

DGG: What kinds of products do you sell, and where can people buy them?
BH: I sell shawls, scarves, halter tops, hats, fingerless gloves, fiber accessories and jewelry. I do a few fine art fairs, farmer’s markets and special events throughout the year. My next scheduled art fairs will be the Palmer Park Art Fair ( May 14 and 15) and The Grand Haven Art Festival (June 25 and 26).



DGG: What inspires you to create your products?
BH: I am inspired by nature, painting, weather, etc.

DGG: What does your workspace look like?
BH: My “workspace” is an absolute mess with knitting needles, yarn, beads and stones everywhere!

DGG: If you could dress anyone in your products, who would it be and why?
BH: I would love to dress the Olsen twins because their look is classy and sophisticated with an edge.

DGG: What has been your biggest learning experience throughout the process of starting and growing your business?
BH: Producing items with a modest price point.

DGG: Describe your style.
BH: My style is fashionable but timeless.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
BH: Cream Only...

DGG: Knit scarves or knit hats?
BH: Both.

DHH: Laren Manoogian or Gudrun & Gudrun (both knitwear designers)?
BH: Both.



No comments:

Post a Comment