Thursday, March 19, 2015

Industry Spotlight: The Fashion World Revolves Around Models and, in Detroit, RGA Model Management is at the Center of it All

RGA Model Management is a boutique agency that provides premium talent and focuses on all aspects of modeling, representing both men and women, and it was started by former model Renee Godin. Wanting to be the agent she never had, Renee nurtures her talent to be the most skilled models they can be. When you’re out at a fashion event, you can always spot an RGA model because they are the best of the best. Yes, modeling is glamorous, but it is also hard work full of preparation, late nights and early mornings (depending on the gig), and having to look fresh and be prepared for it all. We were lucky enough to speak with Renee to learn about what it takes to be a model, and to get a sneak peek into her day-to-day life. Aspiring models and anyone looking to book a model, this interview is a must-read.



DG3: Tell us about yourself, Renee?
Renee Godin: I'm a fun loving, social butterfly who loves fashion, and can't resist a good sale! I've been married to my sassy, handsome husband Scott Ferguson for almost 13 years. I work a lot. Even when I'm playing, there's some element of work involved; it's because I really love what I do! When I do get a spare minute (and my closet doesn't need rearranging), I love to paint. The works of Gustav Klimt, Picasso, and Erte' inspire me. My home is decorated with my versions of some of their work.

DG3: How long has RGA Model Management been around and why did you want to start it?
RG: RGA started in October of 2005. Having been an Auto Show, print and runway model for 20 years, I was tired of the travel so decided to launch my own business. I wanted to start a modeling agency because modeling is the only work I'd ever done, and I knew it like the back of my hand. I wanted to be the agent I never had as a model; one who not only mentored a model, but molded a young person's character instilling a good work ethic and guiding a career. I think I've become that to my talent, but you'd have to ask them!

DG3: Tell me about a day in the life of Renee Godin at RGA Model Management?
RG: My cat, Dean Martin, usually wakes me up around 7 a.m. After having two cups of coffee, feeding Dean Martin, sending my husband off to work and going through the mail I head off to work myself getting in around 10. Depending on the event we have going on, my work day consists of booking talent, organizing schedules, meeting with clients, attending castings, popping in on photo shoots and attending fashion shows. There also may be a surprise runway appearance! At my last Carson's Trendevous Show, one of my models was sick and didn't show up. They asked me to take her place, as we were the same size. I was nervous at first, not having worked a runway in years, but it's true, modeling is like riding a bike - you never forget!

DG3: So, someone wants to be a model. What do they need to do to do before coming to see you?
RG: First things first, regardless what you want to be, always be prepared!
I'm constantly telling my girls, there's nothing more beautiful than confidence!, and feeling prepared gives you confidence. So yes, you should come prepared. When an aspiring model meets with my team and me for the first time, they are basically interviewing for a job. Do they have what it takes? It's so much more than being 5'10" tall and having 35-inch hips. Modeling is an attitude; it's a way of life. You have to own it and really want it. I can spot a young girl coming to RGA for a first time meeting who's doing this because "it's her Mother's dream" from a mile away! Come looking your best, bring or wear high-heeled shoes that you are comfortable walking in (because you will be asked to strut your stuff!), and make sure your hair and makeup is neutral and polished. It will show me how you're going to show up if I send you to a casting. Above all, don't give me any excuses, and spare me the drama.

DG3: Do you have a list of things you give to your models that they should all have to take to photo shoots?
RG: Depending on the type of photo shoot, a professional model always arrives with her "Model's Bag," in it are all of the essentials she could need during the day including; hair and makeup tools (for touch ups if their hair and makeup isn't being professionally done) and basic undergarments including nude strapless bra, nude thong, a makeup net or scarf to put over your face and hair so you don't get makeup on the designer clothing during quick changes. Depending on the season, models may need a few pairs of tights. A nice wardrobe of shoes is always helpful, too; black and nude pumps, and strappy evening sandals are a must.

DG3: What are some of the local and national opportunities for RGA models?
RG: RGA provides fashion models for all of the top retail stores, we not only provide the models, but we also organize the dressers, stylists, senders, and all aspects of production of the show from lighting to music, chairs to staging. We are a turnkey fashion production company. Our models can be seen gracing the pages (and covers!) of some of Detroit's elite publications, hosting the who's-who of parties and doing trade show work across the country.

DG3: What's the best advice you would give to an aspiring model?
RG: Don't try to be anyone but yourself... it will show.

DG3: What has been the most rewarding experience having your own model management agency?
RG: I love getting thank you notes and emails from talent of whom I have made a difference in their life. Nothin' better than that!

DG3: Describe your style.
RG: Old Hollywood Glamour.

DG3: How do you take your coffee?
RG: Strong with double cream.

DG3: Karlie Kloss or Cara Delevingne?
RG: Cara Delevingne. She's a triple threat; model, singer and actress. I love it when women are multi-faceted. And, with Joan Collins as a Godmother, she's got to have some spunk!

DG3: Vogue or Harper's Bazaar?

RG: Vogue. Don't mess with Anna Wintour... and don't mess with me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field. Do you mind updating your blog post with additional insight? It should be really useful for all of us.
    metromodels.com

    ReplyDelete