Thursday, March 12, 2015

Local Designer Series: Michigan Designer Incorporates Laser Cutting into Handbag Collection


Devon Stonebrook is a Michigan native who moved to Austin, Texas (good move for the winter, am I right?) to work for a laser-cutting studio. After learning all about the laser-cutting process, she decided to use that knowledge to create her own niche accessories collection. Read all about how she got her start, and how some of her best advice came from her mother, Deanna Swisher, who also happens to be one of the mentors of DG3’s incubator.

DG3: Tell us about yourself, Devon.
Devon Stonebrook: I design laser cut accessories through a line that I recently launched called CALmax. After I graduated from the Taubman School of Architecture at the University of Michigan, I moved to Austin, Texas, where I began working for a laser-cutting studio called MakeATX. Motivated by the capabilities of laser cutting, I began prototyping handbags that incorporated hard materials and unique construction methods. As I carved out a niche for laser cut accessory design, I versed myself in the conventions of leather craft and fashion sewing to help broaden my design tactics. My accessory line, CALmax, features bags, wallets and belts that explore material intrigue digital fabrication.

DG3: How did you start CALMax?
DS: I formed my business, Calibrated Maximalist, LLC, and registered CALmax as its assumed name, last November when I launched my online store and first introduced my products to the public. I came up with the idea of CALmax, The Calibrated Maximalist, during my senior year of architecture studies at the University of Michigan. While in school, I used laser cutters to design architectural building models, but sought out other uses for the lasers in my spare time. Inspired by the pristine and versatile capabilities of laser cutting, I began prototyping laser-cut acrylic bags and clothing embellishments. I currently operate my CALmax line at a studio in East Austin located nearby the laser studio where I work. I cut, design, prototype, and assemble everything myself, but I plan on hiring help to assemble bags as order demands grow

DG3: Explain the laser cutting process.
DS: Laser cutters allow one to cut extremely precise 2D shapes out of flat material, such as wood, leather, paper or acrylic. Aside from cutting, lasers can also etch images into the surface of materials. All laser cutting stems from digitally drafted vector designs, generally created using programs like Adobe Illustrator or Autocad. The cutting process is quite quick, much quicker than 3D printers, much more precise than hand cutting, and extremely more versatile than dye cutting.

DG3: Where do you sell your products?
DS: So far, my products are sold online through my website and at my East Austin studio, but I do plan on selling at other online shops and brick and mortar stores in the near future. 

DG3: What’s the best and worst advice you have received starting your business?
DS: The best advice definitely came from my mother, Deanna Swisher, who is an attorney that specializes in Fashion Law. She reinforced the importance of well written contracts and the benefits of properly forming a business entity, so that your business expenses and liabilities are clearly separate from your personal expenses and liabilities. It certainly helps to have her at my side! The worst advice I have received is to rush into anything. I think there’s a belief that since fashion fluctuates so quickly, there’s an inherent urgency to launch your line before someone else steals your idea. In retrospect, I think the best ideas take time, preparation, and planning. While gimmicks can be easily stolen, good designs and creative problem solving will stand the test of time. 

DG3: What's the most rewarding thing that has happened at CALMax?
DS: I really enjoyed the feedback that I received from the people who saw my products during the East Austin Studio Tour. It was so great to see people’s eyes light up when they saw my bags, and I loved hearing that they thought the products were so unique. A couple of girls who were lusting over the Warped Grid Bags said they looked like they should be at Opening Ceremony, which was such a compliment! After spending so much time designing these projects solo and under the radar, it was a big treat getting to see people enjoy my work in person.

DG3: Describe your style.
DS: I tend to dress pretty casually day-to-day since my work is pretty hands on. When I’m casual, I like 70’s inspired wear; usually high waisted jeans, fitted knit shirts, and boots or birks. When I’m not getting dirty, I like to keep it monochrome. I love spicing up a monochrome outfit with shiny patent shoes or acrylic belts where I can show a contrast though texture instead of color. I’m really into tan at the moment and other types of neutral flesh tones.

DG3: How do you take your coffee?
DS: Once in the morning with a splash of almond milk; any more than that and I’m wired.

DG3: Tory Burch or Kate Spade?
DS: Neither really, though some of my favorite shoes in high school were a pair of blue velvet Kate Spade flats that I found on a really good deal. Nothing beats blue velvet!

DG3: Clutches or stachels?
DS: Clutches.

No comments:

Post a Comment