Friday, March 6, 2015

Industry Spotlight: Local Wholesale Rep Discusses Her Journey, and Why Trade Shows Aren't Always the Answer


Working as a sales associate and doing some merchandising at a small boutique in Ohio inspired Dana Saxon to pursue a career in fashion. After a going to school and working in different areas in the industry, Dana is now a Wholesale Representative, representing many different designers, including a few locals. And if you are a local designer scanning the words on this blog, you're going to want to read on; she's got great advice, and she's looking for a few more Michigan designers to represent.

DG3: Tell us about yourself, Dana.
Dana Saxon: My husband and I have three teenage children. I moved to Michigan from Ohio three and a half years ago when I got remarried, and I instantly fell in love with Detroit and all the exciting transformations that are happening! My husband, children and I became urban explorers and have discovered so many cool places and things to do in and around the city. I love the outdoors (when the temperatures are not in negative numbers), and enjoy hiking and kayaking in the warm months. I also love to read and have an addiction to Downton Abbey!

DG3: Tell us about your journey in the fashion industry.
DS: My journey has been a long and rather diverse one! In high school, I worked for a small boutique in my hometown called Cyndy’s Closet. The owner would let me do the store windows and some of the store merchandising and I loved doing it and was good at it. She suggested that I pursue a career in fashion, so I attended Kent State University’s fashion school and got a degree in Fashion Merchandising. 

I spent the first several years of my career as a retail manager for Gantos, then Marshalls and lastly Old Navy. In later years when I had two small kids, I returned to Kent State as a part time professor teaching Fashion Fundamentals and Fashion Forecasting. Then I started working for Arhaus Furniture, a locally owned furniture chain with about 60 stores throughout the country. I started as a buyer for three categories, and then was promoted to Merchandise Manager of all of the furniture categories. It was an amazing experience that allowed me to travel the world and meet so many amazing people! After eight years in furniture, the owner decided to start a jewelry and accessories catalog business called Arhaus Jewels. He knew I had a passion for jewelry and fashion and asked me to head up this project. I was in charge of the buying and product development as well as coordinating photography and layout with the advertising agency and our consultants. I spent 10 years working for Arhaus Furniture and absolutely loved it!

DG3: Tell us about your career now.
DS: I started my own business as a wholesale representative. My territory is Michigan, Northern Ohio and Chicago. I have put together a collection of 10 designers of jewelry, accessories and apparel to represent. My designers are mostly smaller artisans. Several of them I met while working on the catalogs, others I have met since moving to Michigan. I take the designer's sample lines to boutiques all over my territory and show the lines to owners/buyers, and place wholesale orders with the designers. Currently, four of my lines are Michigan artists, and I am actively seeking out more Michigan artists to represent.

DG3: What are some helpful tips for designers when it comes to getting their products seen and out to the masses? 
DS: I truly think the best way to get traction and start really selling is through taking it directly to the stores either yourself or through a representative. Trade shows are generally expensive and you have no control over who comes to your booth, plus you are competing with hundreds or thousands of other lines for the buyer’s attention. I think doing a trade show is best for after you have gotten a bit more established and are ready to branch out. I would also say to get involved and network. Relationships are probably the single most important part of your career, not to mention the most rewarding!


DG3: Name three valuable lessons you have learned working in the fashion industry, thus far.
DS:
  1.    The first I already referred to – RELATIONSHIPS! Building relationships will help you not only connect to other people who can help you, but if you have honest, strong business relationships, you will be able to work through difficult times and challenges that arise (and they always do!).
  2.    Collaboration – don’t be afraid to collaborate with others that you trust and share ideas and challenges. Much more creativity is born this way and burdens are lighter when shared!
  3.    Keep it FRESH! Whether you are a designer, store owner, buyer or something else in fashion – you have to always keep it fresh. American consumers have a short attention span and want to see newness, and be inspired.

DG3: Describe your style.
DS: This may be the hardest question… I guess I am somewhat of a purest. I love natural fibers, soft, beautiful fabrics - no glitz, nothing synthetic - just inherently beautiful natural clothes, jewelry and accessories.

DG3: How do you take your coffee?
DS: With cream and Truvia!

DG3: Marc Jacobs for Diet Coke or Gwen Stefani for HP? 
DS: Gwen Stefani – love everything about her!

DG3: Valentino or Dolce & Gabbana?
DS: Definitely Dolce & Gabbana.

No comments:

Post a Comment