Friday, April 10, 2015

Local Designer Series: Mother of One Builds her Career Creating for Kids, and Helps Others

Inspired by her son, single-mother Molly Riddle choose to lead by example and use her skills to create a line of kids clothing to better their lives. Using the things she has learned in the past and combining it with other training and her can-do attitude, she has launched a kids clothing company that is all quality with a dash of sass.

DGG: Tell us about yourself, Molly.
Molly Riddle: I have lived in Michigan my whole life. I have a 14-year-old boy, his name is Charlie and I am a single mother. Charlie has been my motivation to do better and want better for my life. I hope that my hard work, determination, and passion for what I do will propel him in the same direction. Through my work I not only hope to inspire my own son, but I hope to inspire and empower girls and boys everywhere to be proud of who they are, and to reach for the stars. 

DGG: What's the Cecylia and Rosey story?
MR: Ten years ago the vision for Cecylia and Rosey came to me. I have always loved fashion, but never thought design was the direction I would go. For the past ten years I have been working on my sewing skills, I have also taken classes at The International Academy of Design and Technology in Troy. The classes I took combined with my determination and love for the art of design allowed me to get to the point I am at now. The sky is the limit, and I am so excited to see where my business takes me. The name Cecylia comes from my grandma, her middle name was Cecylia, and Rosey was just an add on that complimented it well. 

DGG: What do you love about creating kids collections?
MR: I love designing for kids. I love working with cottons and knits and I love being able to create fun, yet timeless pieces that can be worn anywhere. 

DGG: What inspires you when designing the collections?
MR: When designing a collection I am inspired by French design, and women's wear. I love the challenge in taking a women’s wear piece and reinterpreting it for a child. I love simplicity, sophistication, and elegance. French design is feminine, chic, and timeless, which is why I gravitate toward this esthetic.
DGG: Did you start your business with the intent of donating a portion of sales to a charity, or did that happen organically?
MR: I think as an entrepreneur, it is my duty to give back and to pay it forward. I believe that has you climb that ladder of success; you bring others with you along the way. Giving back has always been my plan. There are so many great organizations I could not pick just one, so I decided to honor one organization every year. Through my love of design I hope to make a difference in the world, that is a huge motivation for me. 

DGG: What's the best and worst advice you have received when starting Cecylia and Rosey?
MR: Wow, my favorite show on TV right now is Super Soul Sunday on the OWN network. I have been so inspired by the different guests interviewed each week. Through this show I have gained a lot of knowledge and advice. My mom and dad had given me advice, but more than that they have both allowed me to be who I am they have been so patient over the years and have supported me on my journey of self-discovery. I really tune out the negative comments, and bad advice, I know I am on my path and no one can really steer me away. I am really determined and up for any and every challenge regarding my business.

DGG: What does your workspace look like?
MR: Right now my workspace is a bit messy. I am getting inventory together for Zulily – I will be featured on April 28!

DGG: Describe your style.
MR: My style is classic, with a little edge; simple and understated.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
MR: I love coffee. I prefer lattes, or cream in my coffee.

DGG: Gap Kids or J. Crew Kids?
MR: Definitely J. Crew.

DGG: Gymboree or FKO Kids?

MR: Love Gymboree, but love Janie and Jack even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment