Friday, August 7, 2015

Industry Spotlight: Local Designer Uses Her Passion to Help Others in the Industrial Sewing Program

Image from Rachna Chandra
DGG: Tell us about yourself, Rachna.
Rachna Chandra: I migrated to Michigan in 1997 from India, and I hold a bachelors degree in science and an associate degree in Computer Information System from Henry Ford College. As my name means creation, I always want to do something innovative. Since I was a kid, I wanted to be a fashion designer, and I am proud to successfully celebrate 10 years of my fashion design business, Taj Cottage. Taj Cottage is a collection of ethnic Indian and fusion wear. I have been sewing since elementary school, and I have also learned a lot about sewing from my mom. I am happy to say that my daughter has inherited the same talent, and my son wants to learn, too.

DGG: Tell us about the Industrial Sewing Program at Henry Ford College M-TEC.
RC: Being a member of different fashion groups and Detroit Garment Group, I found out about the Industrial Sewing Program and instructor position at Henry Ford College M-Tec. It was a great opportunity for me to teach the art of sewing and keep it alive. The Industrial Sewing Certificate program is a one-of-a-kind, six-week program. Students learn different seams and stitches, precision, speed, quality control, work ethics, basic sewing machine repairs and more; they also work with a variety of industrial sewing machines, and gain knowledge about different kind of fabrics, needles and threads. We even take the students for field trips to companies like Irwin, Shinola, Magna and TDIC, where they get to see, first hand, the manufacturing departments of cut and sew companies.

Image from Rachna Chandra

DGG: Describe your job in 10 words.
RC: Creative. Fashion. Pride. Exquisite. Vogue. Addiction. Couture. Trend. Innovative. Designer.

DGG: What has been the most rewarding thing about working as an instructor in the sewing program?
RC: It is very satisfactory and rewarding for me when the students are employed, and they thank me for teaching them a skill to be able to earn a decent living.

Image from Rachna Chandra
DGG: If you could be remembered for one thing, what would it be and why?
RC: I would like to be remembered as a sewing mentor, a kind-hearted person and someone who made a positive impact on peoples lives.

DGG: If you could sew for any of the famous fashion houses, who would it be and why?
RC: I would be honored to sew for Dior, if given a chance. I find some kind of similarity between Dior designs and my personality, which is Uniqueness.

DGG: Describe your style.
RC: My style is to feel beautiful and confident in what I wear.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
RC: Coffee with cream and sugar.

DGG: Nordstrom or Macy's?
RC: Nordstrom.

DGG: Cotton or linen?

RC: Cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment