Thursday, January 7, 2016

Industry Spotlight: Local Entrepreneur is on a Mission to Clothe the World

Farmington Hills native, Mallory Brown, has started a clothing line that she hopes will help clothe the world, and so far, she's on the right track. Taking monthly visits to countries you may not have even heard of, she uses her clothing line to help those who can't help themselves. She is a jet setter with a crazy schedule, but we were lucky enough to grab her attention for a short interview. Learn about World Clothes Line, and see how you can help with just a small purchase.

Image from Mallory Brown

DGG: Tell us about yourself, Mallory.
Mallory Brown: I’m a social entrepreneur, humanitarian activist, and adventure traveler. I’m 29 years old, and my closest friends call me Mal. I’m originally from Farmington Hills and currently live in Ferndale. My goal is to inspire everyday people to give back and think globally. I run my own philanthropic campaigns around the world to offer direct, creative, and meaningful ways to make a difference. 

DGG: Tell us about World Clothes Line.
MB: World Clothes Line is an apparel brand with a philanthropic mission - to clothe the world. We sell casual clothes, t-shirts, sweatshirts, and sweatpants, designed to reflect different countries and cultures of the world. I design all the merchandise, and sell it on WCL’s online retail store. Our ‘buy one, give one mission' matches every item sold with an equivalent item for someone in need. You buy. We give. Together, we clothe the world. 

DGG: What's one of the most rewarding part about World Clothes Line?
MB: My company is truly my passion. WCL was inspired by my personal travels and the desperate need of clothing I witnessed around the world. I wanted to harness the power of consumer purchases in order to give back to those who need it most. I put my heart into the brand and everything it represents. It’s amazing to see the incredible response from my customers and the true value my clothing brings to people in need. 

Image from Mallory Brown

DGG: Tell us one of your favorite or most inspiring stories that you have experienced.
MB: I give away every item of clothing personally. I travel (yep, I actually go!) to orphanages, villages, refugee camps, and homeless shelters around the world to distribute clothes. I’ve met thousands of people in need, and a few faces with always stay with me. A 13-year old boy named Yohannas in Ethiopia followed me around for 3 days. An elderly woman named Mama Maria in Kenya lived in a mud hut and was probably the poorest person I’ve ever met. I cried myself to sleep after meeting her. In Indonesia, I clothed an impoverished island and was known as the “tshirt girl”.  In Haiti, I saw boys wearing WCL clothes weeks after I had met them.  They loved their new clothes so much and wore them every day. All those moments are so powerful and push me to work harder, give more, and think bigger.

DGG: Where have you gotten to travel to do your work?
MB: World Clothes Line has delivered clothes in 17 countries around the world. From Peru to Cambodia to Haiti to Tanzania. Domestically, I work often in Detroit and have also given in rural Kentucky. My absolute favorite country is Ethiopia. People often ask if I will ever slow down, but the more I travel, the more places I want to give!

DGG: Tell us about your success in raising a lot of money so quickly. What's your secret?
MB: In 2015, I became the first ever ambassador for CrowdRise, the largest crowdfunding platform for good. I’m the director of the 24-Hour Impact Project, running flash fundraisers around the world.  So far, in 2015, I’ve run 5 campaigns in 6 countries and raised over $110,000 for causes that touch my heart. I emotionally connect my followers to the cause and show immediate results from their donation. I hope that donors feel as if they are on the ground with me. Emotion and immediacy = my secret formula.

Image from Mallory Brown
DGG: How can people help out, and follow along with your journey?
MB: Purchase an item from World Clothes Line’s online retail store. You’ll give an item to someone in need around the world: www.WorldClothesLine.comFor CrowdRise, watch my campaigns at www.crowdrise.com/impactprojector follow me on social media @travelmal.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
MB: I love flavored coffee black, or black coffee with flavored creamer.

DGG: Describe your style.
MB: Bohemian chic. I love earth tones and accessories (I always wear a million bracelets).  I’m a travel girl, and I dress in comfortable layers, so I’m always ready for an adventure.

DGG: Warby Parker or TOMS?  
MB: Both, but TOMS will always have my heart.

DGG: Crewneck sweatshirts or hooded sweatshirts?  
MB: Crew neck. Especially this one: http://www.worldclothesline.com/Shop/Product.aspx?CatalogItemID=1859.

Image from Mallory Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment