Friday, January 22, 2016

Local Designer Series: Local Designer Turned a Setback into an Opportunity

DGG: Tell us about yourself, Kim.
Kim Collins: I am a Royal Oak native. My grandmother taught me how to sew by repurposing men’s shirts into bed jackets and capes with snaps for patients in the nursing home, where my great grandmother spent the last days of her life. Theater has also been a life long hobby. Performing as well as working behind the scenes with costumes and costume design.

My career and day job during my single years was sales; architectural signage, commercial printing and direct mail. I also bought and sold antiques as a sideline business. That business allowed me to fund many trips to Europe.

My husband and I married in 2003, and we had our son in 2004. I continued to work as an independent broker during the first two years after David was born, but left the industry after he was diagnosed with Atypical Autism. After spending eight years in the trenches with my son and getting him on track, I had to do something for myself. I had no desire to return to sales, and needed to be available for our son. I’ve always had ideas for an apparel line, but never took the plunge - this was the time.  



DGG: Tell us about Ann Normandy Design.
KC: Ann Normandy is studied design and painstaking execution that honors craft, quality, versatility and above all clothing that’s flattering to every shape and size. For my first two garments, I used antique mid 19th and early 20th century hand and machine woven French linen I had collected during my antique dealer years. The garments turned out so well, and had the most amazing fit that I decided to use the textiles. I created a collection of hand cut, handmade garments that not only are great design and fit, but easy care. All garments are machine washable.

My plan was to first establish myself with the handmade collection, then transition that collection with additional pieces into a commercial line, using commercial linens and finally produce a digital sewing pattern line for the home sewer.

Earlier last year, just as I was launching the collection, my son had a major set back. I had to drop everything for well over a month, and quickly realized that I would not be able to travel to sell my garments. I also didn’t have the funding to hire a rep. I needed to quickly rethink my business model. After research, talking to my mentor, as well as other industry professionals, I reversed my model and now sell a digital pattern line as I continue to sell the handmade collection privately, as well as wholesale online. I had already digitized and graded the patterns not only for the commercial sewer, but the home sewer. Most of the work was done. This was the perfect time to make this change. I just launched my first three garments during the past two months and already have sold patterns in three countries.



DGG: Who is the Ann Normandy girl?
KC: The collection was inspired by women of a certain age, with discerning taste in well made, timeless garments. Great care and research went into sizing for a woman and her ever changing body.

DGG: What was the best and worst advice you have received during your time starting and running Ann Normandy?
KC: Two successful people with two different perspectives. The best, you can’t rush design. Taking your time and setting the foundation for a lasting brand is critical. The worst, stick to your timeline while designing. I found that rushing through the process created garments that were good, but were missing fine details that make these garments stand out from others. As I took my time and let the collection evolve, I also found that my brand evolved as I was creating.

DGG: If you could give budding fashion designers three pieces of advice about starting a company, what would it be?
KC: Make a plan, business and creative and have the expectation that things may change. You must be flexible. Your idea may take a different direction, just as mine. Don’t fight it. Never underestimate your abilities outside of your own comfort zone.  I second-guessed my abilities on building my own website, hired an agency to do it, was put off and then completely ripped off. I ended up building my own within 4 days after losing nearly $3000. And everyone has advice, an opinion or suggestion. It’s good to know what people want, but use them wisely while keeping true to yourself.



DGG: How do you want to be remembered?
KC: I want to be remembered as the designer of garments that are still being worn and loved 10+ years after being purchased.  

DGG: Describe your style.
KC: Minimalist. I steer clear of prints. Our own features are our best asset and busy, fussy clothes shouldn’t compete with us.

DGG: Michael Kors or Donna Karan?
KC: Both! Michael Kors is the epitome of modern American design. Right up there with Bill Blass and Geoffrey Bean. Donna Karan, really knows how to design to accentuate a woman’s body. Her ability to drape knits is extraordinary.

DGG: Wide-leg pants or cigarette-leg pants?
KC: Again, love them both!

No comments:

Post a Comment