Friday, November 13, 2015

Industry Spotlight: Local Makeup Artist Turns a Road Block Into an Opportunity


Ashley Tolliver, a graduate from Kent State University, found her passion and life’s calling to be a makeup artist. Being the very peaceful, focused, and driven entrepreneur she is, DGG was very excited to get the opportunity to speak with her about her company, Ashley Tolliver Makeup Artist. By getting to know her client’s inspiration, desires, and wardrobe choices, Tolliver has created beautiful looks that are to be admired. While raising a child and involving herself in Detroit fashion, Tolliver has grown her own company to a respected status that has continued to grow as her business develops and thrives.



DGG: Tell us about yourself, Ashley.
Ashley Tolliver: I'm a graduate of Cass Tech High School, here in downtown Detroit. I also received my Bachelors of Science in Fashion Merchandising from Kent State University. As a person, I'm very chill and laid back, but at the same time my mind is constantly wondering all over the place. I'm all about good energy and vibes; I feed off of it and try my best to put it back into the universe because I really feel that the energy you give off and how you make people feel in your presence is very important.

DGG: Tell us about your company Ashley Tolliver Makeup Artist. 

AT: I started my freelance business the summer of 2013 after being fired from my previous job and finding out I was pregnant with my son. I'm not going to lie; I was devastated at first and felt like I put so much of my life into that job. However, sometimes the universe will eliminate things for you in order for you to maximize you potential and answer your true calling.

Currently, I work full time as a makeup artist and am currently enrolled in David Pressley's School of Cosmetology for their esthetics program. I also do makeup for multiple Detroit based business, brands, and designers. However, events and bridal clientele are a major part of my business as well. On the weekdays, I'm usually in school during the day and working on photo shoot sets in the evening. Weekends are considered my heavy glam days where I will be doing makeup from dusk to dawn, both Saturday and Sunday. 


As you can see, my schedule can get a bit hectic, but it's all about time management and making sure that I communicate with my clients so they aren’t left in the abyss. Although my days are crazy, I absolutely love what I do because there’s always movement, change and unpredictability.

DGG: Tell us the difference between doing the makeup for fashion editorials, lookbooks and then commercial projects. What do you need from whoever is putting it on to do your job well?
AT: Fashion editorials require the artist to create bold or striking looks while using color, texture, and unique placements of those components, where lookbooks are subject to the designer or brands aesthetic. Commercial projects often require a natural and simplistic look. Less is more!

DGG: What information do designers need to provide to you when you are doing the makeup for a lookbook?
It's very important to know who the client is as well as identifying what they want to convey. I typically ask for a picture of the model, inspiration photos, mood boards, and viewing wardrobe options before the photo shoot, so I am on the same page as my client.

Photo Credit: Breann White
DGG: How does a makeup artist break into the business of fashion?
AT: I would say the best way for a makeup artist to break into the fashion business is by collaborating and networking with fashion photographers. Together, you may submit pictures to well-known publications, which can go a long way in furthering your career.

DGG: What are the three golden rules of being a freelance makeup artist?
AT: I would say the three golden rules to being freelance artist is to stay focused, stay humble, and stay ready.

Photo Credit: Jason Ramon
DGG: What has been the best advice you have received since starting and working on your own business?
AT: The best advice I've received since starting my own business is to give everyone you encounter a positive experience. This will keep your doors open to receive blessings. Another piece of advice I’ve treasured is to surround myself with others that are also ambitious.

DGG: How do you take your coffee?
AT: I absolutely hate coffee... Yuck, yuck, yuck. I'll take some fruity flavored tea instead.

DGG: Pat McGrath or Gucci Westman?
AT: Pat McGrath - all day, everyday.

DGG: Sephora or Ulta?
AT: When I die, spread my ashes across Sephora and Ulta. It's like asking me to choose between an eyeliner and lip liner - I need them both!!

Photo Credit: Iesha Slef

No comments:

Post a Comment