Monday, September 14, 2015

Guest Blog: Style It Local with Grace Liang, of Color and Grace



Name: Grace Liang
Blog: Color and Grace
Instagram: @colorandgrace

About Me:
I am a 41 year old petite woman. Born and raised in China, moved to America for love in 2007. My day job is to teach and my dream job is to be a fashion blogger. I'm based in Troy, Michigan.

I grew up in the part of northeast China that got me the terrible combination of Russian winters and North Korean fashion! To make my early fashion-sense even more confusing, I often was mistaken for a boy as I would wear my hair short and dress in my older brother’s hand-me-down clothes. It’s pretty safe to say that no one thought of me as a beauty, and that included myself! It really wasn’t until I became an adult and moved (ran?) away to live in the much more modern and glamorous city of Shanghai that I began to see how fashionable clothes could make a big difference in how a woman looks and feels about her self. They can help give you confidence that you may not otherwise have.

When I met my future husband, who was working in Shanghai for his American employer, my world really began to change. For the first time in my life I was getting compliments on how I looked - and not just once in a while, but every day. As nice as it was to hear, it also gave me some needed pressure to up my fashion game! Now that someone I cared about was paying attention, I did, too. I love to dress to make myself feel good, so when I look in the mirror and see a pulled together stylish woman, it brings self confidence and satisfaction - and that’s a winning combination!





Style It Local:
Burgundy felt hat: Forever 21 
Floral print shift dress: Marshall’s
Gold chain link necklace: H&M
Black leather bag: Zac Posen at Saks 5th Avenue
Black leather booties: Sofft at Lord & Taylor

Style Inspiration:
You may already have noticed from my blog’s name Color and Grace that I love colors. They just simply make my eyes happy. Burgundy is such a perfect color for fall. It represents the richness of the harvest season. So I built my outfit from this color. When I saw this dress at Marshall’s I knew it would be my go to piece for a long time. The best part? It was only $16. I am in love with the small scale of the floral print on this shift dress. As I mentioned before, I am a petite with a 5 foot frame, so smaller prints will not overpower me. Instead, it adds interest and a youthful feeling to this look. Shift dresses are the best invention for women who are not feeling very confident with their figure lately. They are not only very comfortable but they can hide a lot of unpleasant things going on with our tummy. I always love bow ties on a shirt or dress, they just scream sophistication and femininity. 

Dresses are an instant outfit. One piece with some tasteful accessories; finished. I could have worn a pair of pumps, but I like using booties to bring out the fall feeling and also add a more trendy vibe. The modern looking bag is the right accompaniment with the booties. The burgundy felt hat echoes the dress and adds more fun. I kept it simple with jewelry by just using the gold statement chain link necklace. I wore this look to a brunch at the farmer’s market with my family. 

Fall Fashion Must-Have #1:
A long-sleeve, flowy floral shift dress. You can wear it now like I styled it for casual chic, or dress it up with high heels, a fun clutch and sparkly jewelry for a night out or a party. For later, you can add a jacket, faux fur vest or a wool coat with some over the knee boots.

Fall Fashion Must-Have #2:

A pair of booties. Choose a style that you can dress it up or down with different clothing to suit your different moods. The pair I was wearing can do this trick. I can wear it to work with a pair of pants and a blazer, or they are equally capable to wear with a dress or skirt for a night out. For a casual weekend I can wear them with a pair of skinny jeans paired with a jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment