Monday, September 7, 2015

Guest Blog: Style It Local with Dana Frost of The Closet Confessional



Name: Dana Frost, Personal Stylist
Blog: The Closet Confessional 
Instagram: @closetconfessional


About Me: A career in fashion wasn't always the obvious choice for me. I was a serious kid and self-proclaimed nerd. I spent my formative years in a school uniform, with zero creative freedom in my day-to-day wardrobe. Add to it that my free time was spent outside in bare feet and beat up denim.

But I was a closeted fashion fiend. I hid composition books filled with magazine clippings of looks I admired. I secretly followed the runway shows in Paris and Milan, in awe of the artistic ability of the designers. I spent my weekends inside my mom's closet - organizing and reorganizing her wardrobe.

It wasn't until I moved to Detroit that I began to really own this secret love and chase down my passion. I found my confidence and started to experiment with my look - daring to wear styles I only dreamed of before - not caring any longer if I blended in or not. Then I started my fashion blog and found my voice.

It's been ten years since that move to Detroit and I recently launched my own styling business. Everyday I get to use my passion and help empower other women to find their confidence in their own personal style.






Style It Local:
Dress: Kit and Ace
Sweater: Frida
ShoesThrift on the Ave.
Clutch: Clare V. via Willys
Watch: Shinola
Sunglasses: Peacock Room
Necklace: El Dorado


Style Inspiration: I've lived and worked in Detroit for the last decade, so it was important to me to highlight some of my favorite retail options in the city. We all know of the abundance of shopping in the Metro region, but not everyone is aware of the gems the city has to offer. By shopping at smaller independent boutiques, you get to see the owner's vision come to life with their carefully curated selection. I love being able to support local business and define my own style in the process

For this specific outfit, I picked quality separates for a transitional look as we head into fall. I’m a huge fan of black and white, but wanted to add interest by varying the patterns and prints in this look. Each piece also can be worn multiple ways, making them both stylish and practical. 


Fall Style Tip #1: Invest in great basics. Perfectly fitted denim, a leather jacket, a little black dress. Pieces like these are the foundation of your outfit and can maximize your entire wardrobe. If you spend the time and money finding quality pieces that really fit (both your body and lifestyle), you'll never be at a loss for what to wear. Trends come and go, spend your money on staples that will last a lifetime.

Fall Style Tip #2: Love what you buy. Don't buy items just because they are on sale or because they ‘kind of work’. Getting dressed is something we do every single day. If you don't love it in the dressing room, you won't love it at home. Find pieces that make you feel amazing and bring you joy every single time you wear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment