Friday, September 4, 2015

Local Designer Series: Local Designer Creates Modern and Elegant Bridal Accessories with a Traditional Touch

Local designer Ariel Taub immersed herself in the fashion industry, even attending and graduating from Parsons New School of Design to give brides custom and glamorous bridal accessory options. The Ariel Jennifer Taub bridal collection is comprised of elegant bridal veils and accessories for a sophisticated bride. Using only the finest satins, tulles and silks, Ariel Jennifer Taub is completely customizable and come with a hidden "something blue," a signature element in its collection. Not only did we get to chat with the woman behind it all, but she even gave us a sneak peek of her new collection.

Image from AJT

Tell us about yourself.
I grew up always wanting to have a career in the fashion industry. I sketched all the time and took as many classes as I could to expose myself in fashion. In high school, I took sewing classes and studied fashion in the summer at CCS. Once graduated, I attended the University of Michigan where I got a BA in Art History. During college, I spent my summers immersing myself in fashion through education; I studied one summer in fashion design at Central Saint Martins in London. After receiving my degree at U of M, I was accepted to Parsons the New School of Design in NYC, and received my associates degree in Fashion Design.
  
Tell us the Ariel Jennifer Taub bridal accessories story.
Because I always loved fashion, I knew I wanted to build a career in the fashion industry. While attending college, I created my first bridal veil for my sister’s wedding. I loved being a part of someone’s special day; from there, I decided this is what I wanted to do for my career.

I created Ariel Jennifer Taub to be a collection designed specifically for the sophisticated bride who craves elegant and unique pieces. Every piece has a hidden “something blue” Swarovski crystal, the company’s signature, and gift to its brides. The most important element to my brand is the quality and detail that goes into my products, and that is why I wanted to create American-made, high quality bridal accessories. All of the pieces are handmade in Michigan, with each crystal placed individually – one crystal at a time with a toothpick. I specialize in crystal work, and all of my products are made with Swarovski® Crystals. You can currently find my collection featured on their Wedding Directory.

Image by Dan Lippitt

Why bridal accessories? 
I have always loved high fashion and costume design, and bridal was the perfect blend of these two industries. Bridal is this magical industry where you can design theatrical pieces that people will wear for one of the most special days of their life. I chose to focus my business specifically on bridal accessories because it is the element that allows the bride to personalize their look. Another aspect of the business that I enjoy is being able to see brides put on their wedding veil, as this is usually the time when a bride says, “now I feel like a bride,” which is an amazing moment to be a part of on a bride’s wedding day.

Also, I found that there is a lot of opportunity to be creative in the bridal accessory industry. I love being able to take an ordinary piece of tulle, and create something glamorous and unique through fabric manipulation and crystal work. The opportunity to think outside the box and create designs people have not seen or done before constantly inspires me.

Image by Dan Lippitt

Where do you sell your products?
I am on the wholesale side of the business; therefore, I sell my products directly to retailers. I attend New York Bridal Market every fall where I debut my new collection every season. This is where the bridal salons view and pick up my newest collection to carry in their stores. Also, I just showed at the Los Angeles Bridal Market this past weekend for my first time.

I currently have my bridal accessories available at bridal stores worldwide, such as Kleinfeld Bridal in New York. Some other locations include Michigan, California, Indiana, Washington, Canada, Brazil and Australia. Many times, I get the opportunity to do a trunk show at the bridal salons, and this allows me to work directly with the brides and to show them a sneak peek of the newest collection before it is released to stores.

Image from AJT

What has been the most rewarding thing about starting your own company?
I would have to say that the most rewarding thing about starting my own company is seeing the company grow. Being able to start with an idea and passion, to then create an emerging business is extremely rewarding. I started by creating every piece by myself, to having a fantastic team that has been extremely supportive and dedicated to help grow the business. I now have contract workers that help with production, interns, an independent sales rep, and a PR agency. To see my products in bridal stores and on television has also been extremely exciting.

What is the best and worst advice you have ever received during this business venture?
The best advice I have received, and would give, is to follow your dream and work as hard as you physically can. You have to be the one person that believes in your design and product. No one will work as hard as you, or care about your business as much as you do. If you do not have the drive to put in 110% you will not succeed. You also need to find a niche so your designs stand out – this is how you will succeed in this industry.

The worst advice I have received was to change my designs so they would be cheaper and more generic in order to increase sales. I did not want to sacrifice what was important to me about my brand, being made in America and my creativity. Therefore, I disregarded this advice, stuck with my gut and created a product that everyone says they love and have never seen anything like it before. If I had followed that advice, I would not have had success in my industry.

Image by Dan Lippitt 

If you could style anyone in the world with your products, who would it be and why?
Jennifer Lawrence - she seems down to earth and extremely elegant. I feel like she would be a fun celebrity to work with.

How do you want to be remembered?
I would love to be remembered as a kind person and for my products. I want people to recognize the company as an elegant, modern and luxury brand for bridal accessories.

Describe your style.
My personal style is all black, and I always love a hint of leather or gold embellishment.

Image by Dan Lippitt

How do you take your coffee?
Black, but I always love a cappuccino, too.

Naeem Khan bridal or Monique Lhuillier bridal?
Monique Lhuillier

Floor length veil or cathedral length veil?
Cathedral Length – love the drama!

No comments:

Post a Comment